Quick And Easy Green Chili Soup - So Easy A Kid Can Make It
This is a simple, spicy soup that I came up with that uses canned items for most of the ingredients. This makes it simple enough for a kid to prepare. For safety reasons, there should be adult supervision when items are being cut. You can vary the heat by deveining the jalapeño, or by adding another jalapeño to spice it up more. With one jalapeño, it is not too hot for my ten year old, so you might want to use this as a guide. If you do get it too hot, add some more American or Velveeta to cool it down a bit. The cooking times are for a 800 watt microwave oven. You can make this on the stove top, but you have to be very careful not to burn the cheeses. For thicker soup, cut the milk in half.
1 family size can cream of mushroom
1 can roasted and chopped green chili
1 can whole kernel corn
1 diced jalapeño
1/2 onion diced
2 tablespoons cream (optional)
1/2 cup milk
pepper to taste
4 slices American cheese
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 inch slice of Velveeta or other processed cheese
1 large microwave safe bowl
1 large spoon
- In a large bowl,mix together all ingredients except cheeses.
- Heat in microwave for 6 minutes, stirring every one and one-half minutes.
- After 4 minutes, add sliced cheese and Velveeta.
- After 6 minutes, stir in cheddar.
- Heat 2 minutes or more if needed, stir mixture until cheeses are melted in.
- Serve with tortilla chips.