Everyone has their favorite recipes. This is one of mine. It is simple, easy to prepare, requires only a few ingredients and it is delicious. See the photos for more info.
I have decided to split it into two blog posts to make my posting easier. So here is the first step - cooking the tortillas.
Microwave Fried Corn Tortillas
1 microwave safe plate
1 microwave safe bowl
brush for spreading oil on tortillas
24 uncooked corn tortillas
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Frying corn tortillas - this is usually done in a skillet or deep-fat fryer, but after a lot of experimentation, I found I can easily fry them in the microwave with only 1/4 cup of oil! It is a lower fat and less messy method than the traditional one.
- Put about a tablespoon of oil in the plate, then place a tortilla in it, turning it one time to ensure that the oil on the bottom of the plate is all over the tortilla.
- Load the brush with oil and baste the top of the tortilla with it.
- Place another tortilla on top of the first, then brush the top with oil.
- Continue this process until you have twelve tortillas in a stack with oil between them.
- Put a layer of oil on the top of the last tortilla to ensure proper frying in the microwave.
- Put the bowl on top of the stack. The bowl catches any oil that splatters and helps in the cooking of the tortillas.
- Microwave on high for 5 to 8 minutes until the tortillas are fried. It is a good idea to check them during the last 3 minutes of cooking time.
- When they are done CAREFULLY remove the bowl and use a spatula to seperate the tortillas. The ones on the bottom tend to stick - this is why you should check them towards the end because they can burn if you cook them for too long. Make sure you don't do this! Your microwave will stink for a couple of days if you burn the tortillas.