Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Reduced Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies







I have had Type 2 diabetes for several years. For this reason, I am always cutting out refined sugar, or substituting other sweeteners for it. This IS NOT an extreme cut on sugar, just a refinement with things that make a good cookie that isn't loaded with white sugar. I do use molasses in these - I have not found an acceptable substitute for it, and you gotta live a little.

OK, enough of the description, on to the cooking.

I usually try to put in a lot of photos, but this was a brand new recipe, and I had no idea if it would come out good enough to post. My apologies for the lack of pictures or video - the "mad scientist" in me was busy! This is a double-size batch, so it makes several dozen cookies.

Please also note - I NEVER use aspartame in a recipe. I, like 30% of this nation, am allergic to this product. If you want an eye opener, do some research on it. Chances are that you may want to change sweeteners afterward.

Utensils:
2 bowls, 4 - 6 cup capacity
1 spatula
Measuring Cups
Measuring Spoons
aluminum foil, silicone sheet or parchment paper
1 or 2 cookie sheets
Mixer
small spoon


Ingredients:
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt (iodized sea salt is awesome!)
3 teaspoons double-strength vanilla extract
1 tablespoon honey
3 tablespoons molasses
3 cups Splenda sweetener (or another sucralose product)
2 cups I can't believe it's not butter sticks (slightly softened)
4 large eggs
1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips (yes, only one package)
1 cup pecans (2 is ALWAYS better, but I only had 1 in the house!)



1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
2. In one bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and salt.
3. Put I can't believe it's not butter and Splenda in the other bowl and cream them together.
4. Add the Molasses, then the honey, mix well to incorporate into mixture.
5. Add the vanilla and mix well.
6. Add the eggs and mix well.
7. Add flour mixture in a little at a time. Only mix enough to incorporate - DO NOT OVERMIX.
8. Add in the chocolate chips, mix until they are covered with the dough.
9. Fold in the pecans with the spatula.
10. Place dough on cookie sheet. Each cookie should be about 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons in size. I use a tablespoon rounded over to keep size even. Use a cup with a piece of plastic wrap on it to press down dough to 3/8 inch thickness. A regular cookie sheet should hold 12 cookies easily.
11. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.
12. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment