One Large Pan with a Tight-Fitting Lid
Large Bowl for serving
Small Knife for cutting up butter
- Cut butter into 1/4 inch slices, then cut these into 4ths.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with 1/8 inch of oil.
- Place the pan on your stove and put the burner on High heat.
- Put a SINGLE LAYER of popcorn in the pan - do not add extra kernels - they will only go to waste.
- Place the lid on the pan.
- When you hear the first kernel of corn pop, quickly lift the lid and toss in the butter.
- Recover the pan quickly to avoid getting burned from flying kernels and hot oil.
- After the lid is on the pan, shake the pan back and forth vigorously to insure that the kernels pop and do not burn.
- When you hear very few kernels popping, pull the pan from the heat and shut off the burner.
- After the last kernels have popped, remove the lid, salt the popcorn to taste, and place it in the bowl.